The Regional Archaeological Museum in Plovdiv, Bulgaria (RAM – Plovdiv) is one of the first Bulgarian cultural institutions, officially opened in 1882. Originally set up as an archaeological and numismatic office, it gradually earned the status of Archaeological Museum during the 1920s.
Regional Archaeological Museum Plovdiv is a specialized museum of archaeology and history. It has seven major expositions – Prehistoric art, Thracian art, Ancient Greek art, Roman art, Medieval art, Renaissance art and Numismatic collection. The scientific and educational activities of the museum are very popular and the museum is very attractive for cultural tourism. The Archaeological Museum for the first time was housed in a book depository at the Regional Directorate of Education of Eastern Rumelia. It was situated itself at the Konak of Ismail Bey, today located on the 17 “Hristo G. Danov” street, the former “General Vladimir Zaimov” street.
At March 1, 1883 the museum and the library leave Konak of Ismail Bey and were accommodated by the Director Il. S. Yovchev in a “more convenient for the purpose building of Eminaa Hadji Nedzhibov” which was located on the northern slopes of Sahat Tepe close to Evangelical church.